Factory Berlin’s community is starting initiatives and finding opportunities in a time of crisis and change. Use this reference: a collection of efforts, initiatives, and resources to support startups, investors, partners, creatives, freelancers, corporates, and entrepreneurs.
During this shift, we need to stay strong as a community and take advantage of the diversity within our ecosystem to exchange thoughts, show support, and collaborate. Though we’re not physically together now, we will continue to be a community and build a strong foundation together.
Please check back daily for more updates and submit your project or resources to email@example.com
Legal, Grants, and Aid
- Welfare for freelancers
This is if you’re unable to pay your rent this month. This article also goes into the repercussions for your residence permit (since a lot of you are not native German or EU citizens!)
- Compensation for freelancers, employees, and the self-employed
Learn about how you can get compensation if you’re under official quarantined and are unable to work as a result, but you’re not actually sick.
- #SidebySide Petition: Financial Aid for German Businesses sourced by Luka Ivicevic
The German government has promised funds to help relieve SMEs of the financial pains now, but their actions most likely will not work for all small businesses. Raise awareness for the right kind of financial aid you’ll need for your business.
- Solo-entrepreneurs and freelancers, plus companies from 5 to 250 can apply for aid from the state of Berlin. Applications will be available soon, but they will be similar to the provisions set forth in Bavaria.
- Rather than laying off your team, find out about Kurzarbeitgeld and how to apply Kurzarbeitgeld.
- On loans and liquidity. Get help for your bigger business.
- COVID-19 Crisis Legal Q&A
by Bundesverband Deutsche Startups
- GDPR and COVID
Under the ordinance in Berlin, you are now required to keep a list of attendees. We composed some free guidance and templates to do this responsibly and in line with the requirements of the GDPR.
Local and Community
- Members LineTweet developed a digital waiting room solution to help practices minimize the number of people waiting physically in their waiting room, especially important to minimize patient contact during the COVID19 crisis.
- Intrepida launch Ancora. It’s a tool to connect people to clinical trials on COVID-19 in order to help build the medical evidence needed to effectively stop the coronavirus pandemic.
- DialogShift’s Corona Chatbot. Founder and community member Olga Heuser had the idea to create a corona chatbot. The program, which was developed for Vivantes, answers around 1,000 questions from citizens every day and relieves hotline staff. Find out more in her rbb interview.
- Soup Kitchen by Factory Kitchen x Urban Drivestyle
Factory Kitchen and our friends at Urban Drivestyle will be providing soup at the entrance of our Görlitzer Park location (coming to Mitte next week). Pick up a soup for themselves in exchange for a donation that will buy soup for someone less fortunate. Bahnhofsmission will distribute these soups.
- Für den Fall by Darjan Hill
The #fuerdenfall flyer supports neighbors OFFLINE when offering as well as looking for help. Stick the completed flyer on the door of your neighbor or put it in the mailbox. To help, you can also distribute blank, printed templates around the neighborhood.
- Helping Hands by Jan Runo
We have to depend on each other like never before. Many people cannot or do not want to leave their place during Corona. This webapp allows you to offer or request help (like grocery shopping, walking the dog, etc.) if you can’t leave the house.
- Wir Gegen Corona sourced by Farhad Pocha
This platform connects people seeking help to those who can provide it. Currently only available in German, but they are working on adding languages and improving it. Please message them if you’re keen on helping their initiative.
- Design Against Corona by Myrto Papagiannakou
A community of designers, researches, business and science people around the world, who would be interested to work in groups and tackle corona crisis challenges.
- #ichbleibezuhausefür by Fritz Michallik
Raise awareness for Covid-19 risk groups and to show solidarity: write on a sign: “I will stay at home for…” or “Ich bleibe zu hause für:..” Take a photo or video of it and post it on social media under the hashtag #ichbleibezuhausefür.
Connect and Network
- Bits & Pretzels’ Virtual Founders Breakfast
Meet virtually for coffee, Brezn or some Weißwürste and share experiences, facts and thoughts with our speakers and your peers. Let’s get through this crisis stronger together and tackle those Corona challenges as one community!
- Coronavirus Innovation Map
Global map of innovative solutions created in response to Covid-19.
Workshops and Best Practices
- Salto Growth Camp- EMERGEncy
Brought to you by people behind LIFT99, Pipedrive, Bolt and Skype.
- Strive School sourced by Tobia De Angelis
Access 4 weeks to a live online course to get started with CS and web development.
- Debate Academy
A YouTube Online Discussion about what technologies can do to support political discourse.
- Collected Best Practices of the German Startup Scene by Bundesverband Deutsche Startups
- 7 Key Actions for SMEs During Crisis Time by Timothee Bardet
Lifestyle and Mental Health
- The Power of Rituals by Gustavo Razzetti
- Create a Work-Life Balance from Home by Factory Berlin
- 5 ways to work from anywhere from Asana
- Working from home (video) by James Hayton, sourced by Tom Hayton
- Leadership in a crisis: Responding to the coronavirus outbreak and future challenges by McKinsey & Company
- Employee Assistance Program and Psychological Online Counselling by Viktoria Lindner
We set up an Employee Assistance Program to support the teams in the current situation with psychological online counseling.